“Celia Learmonth is one of a handful of bloggers with thousands of fans……At 21 she is enviably lithe but admits to seeking help at an eating clinic” Daily Mail, 16/08/2015
I could relate and identify very much with this story. Unfortunately it reminded me of my actions and behaviours when I hid behind an eating disorder as a fully qualified fitness instructor. That was a long time ago.
Today I am 56 and have been in recovery for the past 25 years.
When I was in my late teens/early twenties I looked “perfect” on the outside, giving out healthy advice and running exercise classes but there was another side to me…. the addiction to exercise, slimming pills, bingeing and obsessive weighing, yo-yo dieting, severe restricting and use of laxatives to purge my food. I was preoccupied with food and weight issues 24/7 – but I looked good on the outside.
So I could really relate to this article and then it got me thinking…. What about the amount of alcoholism, nicotine addiction and obesity in the NHS? What about professionals in positions of power who are meeting prostitutes in the dead of night? What about the bankers who are commiting fraud? ………..WHO IS ACTUALLY PRACTICING WHAT THEY PREACH?
Answer : Recovering addicts who are fully qualified professional counsellors ……….. that’s who!!!
- FREEDOM THROUGH SOBRIETY. A LOOK AT ANOREXIA by HANNAH BROWN www.aneartohear.co.uk
- CPD – UNDERSTANDING ANOREXIA & BULIMIA. HOW CAN WE SUPPORT & WORK WITH SUFFERERS? Hertfordshire, UK.
- 2018 CPD -WORKING THERAPEUTICALLY WITH OBESITY. LOOKING AT FOOD ADDICTION & BINGE EATING DISORDER. Hertfordshire, UK
- RECOVERY FROM EATING DISORDERS AND THE ‘POST-HOLIDAY BLUES’
- BEHAVIOURAL ADDICTIONS – WHAT ARE THEY? WHAT IS RECOVERY?